Thursday, June 18, 2015

October Harvest

Recovering lost posts



The apple tree is loaded with apples this year.  I have harvested about half of them.  About 1/3 of the culls go to apples sauce, another 1/3 to cold storage and the really bad ones go to the deer out in the park.  They seem to disappear out there.
I have some help in harvesting the apples.  This is the only chance I have had to get close to the Flicker from the little woods across the street from us.  There have been quite a few kinds of birds in our garden.  A beautiful blue jay has been on the deck.  I don't see it eating apples though.  The robins have been by every day or two to check the firethorn and holly tree berries to see if they are ready to eat.  Last year they cleaned the holly tree berries off on Christmas morning.   I think I will try and hang out a feeder this winter.   Perhaps put out a fruit tray, with apples, too. That brings even more birds, especially when there is a storm.  There have been at least 3 humming birds this year.
We have been getting more rain the last couple of weeks, with cooler temperatures.  There are still lots of leaves on the front tree and on the English oak, and the plum trees.  The pin oak has gone a brown color this year.  It should be a better autumn color.


--
Posted By Blogger to My Garden at 11/02/2014 01:45:00 PM

No comments: