Yesterday I was to the VIRAGS plant show and sale. I found a few choice plants this year. I have been looking for a double bloodroot for a long time and found one there. I also got a hepatica from the the club's plant sale. There were a few of them there. I should have bought them all. These little plants like to grow in moss, so of course they would be perfect for my moss garden. The one I put in the woodland is doing fine and spreading, as is the one that I moved out of the moss. (At the time I moved it, I thought the moss was bad for it) So, I will put this one back into the moss garden. It tolerates lots of shade also. I have another hard to find plant for the shade garden being an epimedium x versicolor x sulphreum. The epimedium I have in the garden is now a lovely burgundy color, which I was told is the color of the new leaves in spring. I shall put this one into the shade near the moss, too. I also got another lewisia for the little lewisia rockery. I was told how to grow them to keep them alive and shall follow the advice. They need very good drainage around the crown. -- 2 or 3 inches of rock chips or pea gravel. The guy who was telling me this says that he used turkey scratch. I have lots of pea gravel and he said that should be fine. And then cover them during the winter rains. If the crowns get wet they rot and die. I could cover them with a plant pot up on a few stakes, to keep the rain off. My other small lewisias seem to be doing ok and self seeding about slowly. The daphne on this little rockery is a beautiful thing in full bloom. Photos to follow soon, I hope. I have two new primulas from the Cowichan Valley plant sellers. One is amethyst and it is beautiful dark purple/red. The other is striped victorian which is a pale blue with stripes. There was one in the show that was huge and won a first place ribbon. He said the one in the show had been fed to make it grow like that. He grows his plants from seed and does not seem to believe in these over stuffed looking plants.
I have been working on the sanding down of the gate-leg table top and have now made the legs very loose and wobbly. Yesterday, Pat fixed them for me by taking the legs pegs out their holes and adding wood glue to them. He also added new screws to both sides of the legs to hold them more steady. And replaced the screws on the little cleats the helped hold the legs together. Now, I have a bit more sanding to do before filling holes, then adding several layers of stain, with fine sanding between the layers. It is still going to look like an antique, though. Pat did a superb job of refinishing our dining room table a couple of years ago.
Posted By Blogger to My Garden at 4/19/2015 03:32:00 PM