Friday, April 06, 2007

Swiss Chard


Yesterday I cut the swiss chard and we had it for dinner. Yumm
It was not very big, but I needed the space to transplant the strawberry plants. I put the 10 Kent strawberry (June bearing) in two hilled up rows at the top of the garden. I clipped and pruned back the firethorn, planted two of the cedars along the fence of the vegetable garden. I need to devise something for the clematis to cling to.. maybe the tall cedars?

I potted and transplanted the rock plants that I got at the rock and alpine show. I have put the salix retusa (willow) into the area I call the lewisia bed. I want to make this willow climb over the rock it sits next to, and I will bonsai it, so it does not get too big for the bed. The heather (phyllodoce empetrufirmus) in what I hope simulates a cool peat, north slopes (well drained). The Lewisia columbiana and Lewisia nevadensis are in the gravel part of the bed. The columbiana particularly wants 70% pea gravel. Campanula cashmeriana likes limestone, but is next to the peat -- hopefully they will stay out of each others habitat. The Gentiana bavarica likes moist peat or bog bed and so it has joined the water iris in the deck tub.. in a peat moss based soil covered in pea gravel. The iris is an off shoot from the lovely big purple water iris, and is, of course in its own bed. I do not remember its name. The Crassula, Primula marginata, Gypsophila imbricata, are in pots and have joined the Soldenella (needs repotting as it is fighting a loosing battle with the moss it has acquired over the years, and last years willow (Salix x boydii) which has goreous blue/green leaves. I have found a rock of almost the same color to add to its pot. The Gysophilia has a piece of tufa rock, as it is suppose to be good on tufa.

No comments: