Thursday, April 19, 2007

Crocosmia/Montebretia



A moved some of the montebretias to near the mermaid water tub. They will look good arching over the water. They are behind the yellow water iris (which seem content to grow in the soil). I believe my montebretias are the 'lucifer' variety. They are a lovey bright red and look good over a nice green lawn area, too. I moved a few to each rectangle bed in the front also. The humming birds love these flowers. They grow like tulips by producing a new corm on top of the old one. Mine multiplied nicely without being invasive. They hang over a little stone path, but I think I will leave them there one more year, yet. I can see the humming birds at them from my dining room window.

I moved a rose of sharon bush to the driveway strip with the others. I am renovating the part of the front garden by Parmar's driveway. Ever since I took out the big deodora cedar and the big pine tree along that side, I find I need something to block the view of the cars in the their driveway and their flat uninteresting lawn. So, I now need about 8 more cedars to go along that side. I want to plant the 3 lupines in front of the cedars. I used the new heavy shovel to dig. The bush did not have a very big rootball and moved easily. That shovel is sure heavy but it works so much better than my garden spade. I need to dig out runners of my black bamboo again, so this shovel should be just the thing. Although I might have to still use the axe to chop the roots. Bamboo roots are very very hard.

One of my orchids with a long name is putting out a spray with buds. This is one I bought at the orchid show, years ago. It was just tiny. I am quite excited about getting the little thing to bloom and shall have photos of it when they are open. My dark pink phalenopsis has 5 blossoms on its spray and is still in bloom. My wildcat orchid, I think it was a dendrobium, appears to be dead. It was blooming and blooming until I repotted it. Then it just died. Should have left well enough alone, I guess.

I finished my Poetry page last nite and am taking tonite off. Just thinking about what album I might want to do next. I should finish the gardening page. Then I will make a garden page for every year, once I have the main albums finished. The travel page is finished to 2005 with a few little albums to make there. Then I will want to do up a page for the Car events we go to..one page and events for each year with a little album for each event, so... I will probably do up a few nice photos for the main club album -- Bentley, Antiques, Model Ts -- and then just do the events page on an on going basis, like the yearly garden page. For example, just a couple of weeks ago the Antique chapter met at a members house, lunch at a place in Ladysmith (all these names escape me - I hope I wrote them down) and then we were to Blackstaff's ever interesting Restoration place. Lots of good photos. So, if I have on going pages I will have the info right on the album. Lots of work to do to get it all caught up to the stage where I am just adding the last event and the last annual album in gardening. It will happen, though, eventually.

No comments: