Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Fern leaved peony



It was raining lightly this morning, so I went out to shoot a few of my flowers to document what I have planted in some of the locations. This is one of the more artsy photos of the fern leaf peony, the Sicilian hellebore, and my West Coast planter. Its a nice arrangement with the two perennials blooming at the same time. The peony does not last very long and the hellebore holds its flowers for months. When the flowers drop on the peony I have a nice mound of these ferny leaves.

I got out later in the afternoon and got the hedging cedars planted along Parmar's side, with the 3 lupines (colors unknown) in front of the cedars. I dug up a few baby foxgloves and transplanted them in front of and beside the lupines. I put leaf mulch around the lupines -- need more mulch. I transplanted the purple wall flower into an old clay pot and it sits on the stump of the old deodora cedar on Parmar's side of the cedar hedge. The other old clay pot sits on the old pine tree stump and its lily is coming up. I added 3 petunias to each pot. Hope its not too early for the petunias. I have some space in the front of that bed yet. I should find a low, long lasting perennial that would work like a ground cover. I want the ajuga to grow and spread more but not over the whole area. I have bought a silver thyme that gets taller than the thymes in the Thyme circle. I think I might use it and get a couple more, so it fills in faster. It might look good with the silvery sedum across the stone path from it. I think I have all the violets and blue bells out of that area, but I will have to keep after them to totally eradicate them all. I need to trim up the california lilac after it blooms perhaps, or soon if I can't stand it anymore. And so my renovations are slowly coming along.

No comments: