Tuesday, April 24, 2007

More renovations in the garden



Yesterday I spent about 6 hours in the garden. I needed to liberate a square cement block and so I revised the walk along the edge of the pond slightly giving the area a slightly more Japanese look with these blocks set in a jagged pattern. This is shot from above on the deck. The clematis is just behind the blocks on the deck posts, and the pond is on the other side with a few edging plants between the blocks and the stone edging. The stone edging is slowly being covered by the sedums, campanula and things growing along there. The little grass does well with its feet in water, or not. Its a very easy plant and lights up the area nicely.

Yesterday I finished weeding and pruning along the driveway strip with a load of clippings and weeds to the twiggy old compost bin in the far back corner of the woodland garden. I transplanted arabis, aubretia and a heather to that area. In a couple of years they all should spread out nicely and fill in under the rose of sharon along there. I fashioned a ramp to drive the wheel barrow up the steps. Just a board, but it worked quite well. Anything else would be heavy to move and put in place. I now keep my wheel barrow out behind the garage, as my alotted space is impossible to navigate with the other stuff between my space and the door. I should paint the wheel barrow one year, maybe. It is not bad now, though.

Yesterday I got some more of the vegetable garden dug over. I made a space for the new little green hebe next to the clay strawberry pot. The green and the clay color should look good together. The hebe is evergreen with tiny white flowers in the summer. It likes a rhododendron type of growing situation.

Yesterday Cannor Nursery delivered my trees and bags of dirt, stones and sand, so I spent some time moving things around to where I would be using them. That sand and the stones are really heavy! Today I used up nearly one bag of the top soil. I might need more in the Fall when I top dress the lawn. I might get it now, before my Cannor membership expires. I also have to $10.00 credits each on my first $50.00 of purchase. So, that along with the 10% off regular prices, and free delivery, kinda make the $25.00 membership worthwhile. Plus they put out good products and a quarterly magazine. Their indoor koi pond, alone, is worth the visit.

No comments: