Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Wasp






This little wasp nest was on the deck. It must have blown off its place in the wind. I put it on my patio table. A wasp arrived and began crawling all over it. I kinda enjoyed these shots. I did no photoshopping to them. The nest is about an inch wide. A pretty little thing. At one point the wasp was standing still and flapping its wings. I don't know what that signifies, but I call it the bee dance. I have not examined the cells yet. They might contain eggs or honey, I know not.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful photographs. The wasp was probably trying to keep air moving over the cells so they don't overheat.

You have a beautiful blog.

Maggie said...

Thanks Ken

How very interesting. There were 3 wasps on this hive, this morning. Its just a tiny thing. Then it rained. Water collects on this table top. We call it the water table. I had not moved the hive to higher ground. So, it is now water logged. I will see if it dries out and they come back. Otherwise, I have to take it apart and see what is in the cells.

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are very nice. You take very good close ups.

Maggie said...

Thanks Ken

Kena, sorry to have called you Ken.

The hive is now empty and gone. After being stung while trying to move the hive I was not shooting the wasps again.

It rained and water collected around the hive on top of my patio table a few days ago. When it dried out, they were back.

I did not see what came out of the cells or if the wasps just got into them and ate whatever was inside.