Sunday, May 17, 2009

Weeding and planting


This rock is for you, Jaromey. Its a lava rock from the roadside near Clearwater. :-))
This rock is in the inner garden at the front and is surrounded by a globalaria (a very good plant), some thyme, and you can see the leaves from the fern leafed peony. Sorry to say, I forget the name of the bright blue one. The other rocks are flat and part of the rock path.

Today was another perfect day. Bit of clouds and warm. I finally got outside at about 2:30. The slight breeze kept me hatless, but the sun was not too strong. I pulled back mulch in the veggie garden and planted a few little rows - lettuce, radishes, yellow beans, swiss chard, cosmos, marigolds. I covered the seeds with a very light sprinkling of top soil. I put grass clippings between the rows. I have a couple of feet of space to plant tomatoes when I get them. I replanted the dill, as it did not seem to be germinating. I think the spinach is germinated, and the sunflowers.

I transplanted the daphne and the cyclamen into the new little rockery and added more pea gravel mulch over it all. Weeded it, although I have been keeping it really clean.

I did some weeding in the bed by the garage and next to the sidewalk. These beds are not too bad for weeds either. The newest area is pretty clean. The rhodos and ferms need a little more attention, but I will do them when I get to the space under the deck. This is dense shade but gets water when it rains and water drips down through the deck boards. I want to make a shady sitting area under here, eventually. I will need more cement pavers.

I have started to clean up the Japanese garden area. The little stone path and the beds have violets growing in every possible crack. The soil is moist right now, so it is easier to pull them out. It looks so much better when cleaned up.

I was out for about 3 hours today and got quite a bit done. My back is complaining though... just new muscles being exercised, I guess. We don't have much on this week so I hope I can be out in the garden without worrying too much about fingernails and hair! I think I got a bit of sun today, but can't really see it yet. I didn't get out and take photos. Maybe when I have things a bit more cleaned up.

There are so many of the plants in bloom now. This is the best time for my little rockeries. I am happy to see the lewisias expanding. The bulb oxalis are in bloom and looking good.

3 comments:

Rose & Harry said...

The bright blue one looks like a lobelia to me...love the flower pictures....Rose

twincapes said...

Beautiful photos, thanks. the bright blue looks like Lobelia, it's one of my faves.

Maggie said...

Hi Rose!! so nice to hear from you. I had a quick look at your Panama home. What a lovely place.

Thanks for the identification. It really does look like a lobelia. I had to go out and find the plant marker, because this plant is evergreen and I don't know a lobelia that is ever green and perennial. So the marker says it is a Lithodora, Grace Ward.