Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Transplanting annuals

I potted up this blue container with lobelia and a sweet smelling heliotrope in the top. You can see the strawberry jar that sits at the end of the lewisia rockery. I have marigolds and a vine with yellow flowers in it. I have added allysum to the 2 black pots on the veggie garden path. I have put 2 more heliotrope by the primula bed. More of the lobelia is in a pink pot. The petunias are in the square cedar pot on the deck and in a clay pot in the front garden.

When planting the ones in the front I found that the soil was very dry. So, this meant that I spent quite a bit of time watering around the front. I weeded a bit, too. The little pink penstome is in bloom. I have been nursing this little plant along for ages, and finally, it is beginning to look good. Must be the compost it has been getting. The lupines are just in buds now.

After getting the annuals transplanted I began weeding more violets out from under the deck. I added the club moss I purchased and the anomone slyvestria (wood anemone) to near the edge of the extended dry stream. From there I proceeded to extend the dry stream more, along towards the steps. It now meets the river of stones that I had put there before to catch the water run off from the edge of the deck. These stones are lined with lovely moss beside them. I will be filling the slight depression I made for the extended dry stream with more pea gravel and also covering the little stones with pea gravel so that the dry stream extends into the ferns and disappears. I cleaned up the moss and left only a few choice plants growing in it. There are some lovely welsh poppies self seeding under there. No pictures yet.
The clematis on the corner of the deck is beginning to bloom. I let it twine around the tub garden.
zoomed closer to the wisteria flowers.
My wisteeria blooms about 20 - 25 feet above in the cedars. Its a good thing it blooms there because I had to cut the rest of it down when the neighbours decided they needed a new fence. It seems my wisteria was in the way. Well, I am now attempting to grow it into a standard tree with branches only on my side. It really would look good on that cow pen they call a fence.

No comments: