Monday, May 04, 2009

Gardening

This is another photo from the Kitty Coleman woodland garden at Comox. I think this is a magnolia. I was quite far away from the tree and used the zoom lens. I must have had the flash on to get that black background, but at the distance I was from the tree, I don't know how the flash was even effective. Just a lucky muddle through, I guess. I like the white on black, which is usually a very difficult light situation.

I have added more sand and some pea gravel to the new little rockery, as all the plants will want good drainage. I think this soil mix I have in layers is going to settle a bit yet, so I will probably add more of that fluffy top soil and some more sand before I consider it ready to plant.

I planted 2 rows of spinach at the bottom of the garden where there will be most shade, a row of dill at the top of the bed, by the other herbs. I put lobelia seed in the cracks along the bricks by the new little rockery and planted a row of decorative sunflowers next to the strawberry patch. The vegetable patch is ready to be seeded. On the left side, I am just going to move the mulch back and plant seeds. The right side is dug over. I must fiinish putting soil on the little rockery before planting any more on this side, as I need the space to work.

It is good practise to vary tasks when out in the garden. I did a variety of things today. Besides the seed planting, I moved another round cement stone from the thyme circle to the back and dug it in and levelled it. The stepping stones on this path are now much more stable and durable than the little ones I had last year that have mostly broken up. I am using them under the big stones for fill. After setting this final stone I spread some pea gravel around between the stepping stones. I have the little mint and irish moss to fill in around the stones.

While digging the stone out of the thyme bed I did a bit more weeding around the stone paths at the front. I might resort to putting round up on the paths, as there is some very persistent weeds like a little clover that are taking over the path, and covering the rocks. I don't mind a few of these little plants in the path, but there are just too many of them right now.

After finishing these things, I watered at the back. We got some quite high winds later, so I hope the watering held the seeds in place. We could use more rain yet, too. It was a cool day, good for getting things done, but not a great day to encourage seed germination.

I must do photos of the progression of the rockery and veggie patch... tomorrow, perhaps.

No comments: