Sunday, May 31, 2009

Hedging and paths

Shooting from our driveway up the grass path, at the trimmed hedge. You can see the garden hose that leads to the slow drip for the plum tree. The peony tree is about finished blooming.
This is the stone path that leads through the central part of the inner front garden. It has been relatively easy care for the past 12 years since I first installed it. It has become overgrown with clover and other weeds. I am digging it up, putting a layer of new paper down on the base, covering the newspaper with sand and setting the flat found fieldstone rocks back. The base was clay before. I will want to add some of the clay back to the top sand, and then cover this mix with pea gravel. I have been weeding a bit along the edges, as I go along redoing the path. I have finished about 1/4 of it. I have been working at it for the past 4 days. It was heavy going at first, but I am making better progress now. The largest stones sit in the middle, spaced for convenient stepping. When I made the thyme circle I put down a newspaper weed barrier... 12 years ago also. The thyme bed does not have the weed problem that the stone path has; so I hope this works for the stone path, now. I had my garden scissors out there for cutting open bags. I am so annoyed as I seem to have misplaced that scissors. I would hate to find it again by stepping on it.
The lupines are in bloom and looking nice. Last year I had a few plants of peloric foxgloves growing with the lupines. There are none this year. I suppose the heavy leaf mulch might be a deterent to the germination of the foxgloves. The lupines are next to the new little cedars along Parmar's side of the front garden.
At the corner of Parmar's property and ours right by the street, I have planted a purple plum tree. This plum produced fruit the first year, but not since. I consulted with the people at Cannor Nursery. They advised me to give it some fruit tree spikes and keep it watered. Planting a fruit tree in this high traffic area is not a very good idea as the roots might get compacted. I have put the garden hose out to the tree area and have it on a very slow drip. I have given it fruit tree fertilizer spikes. Yea! There are small plums on the tree!
This is the little honeysuckle hedge that runs along my side of the property with Parmar's strip of grass to complete the 'frame' of my garden on their side. There is a strip of grass across the front by the street to further the allusion of a frame.
This is shooting at the grass path and hedge from Parmar's side of the path. The gold spot in the hedge is what appears to be a dead boxwood plant. Mrs. P. has had a workman painting and whatnot at her home over the years. It is my suspicion that he dumped some toxic material on this plant. If it does not green up by the Fall, I will take it out and put in a new little cutting. It looks rather unusual, as is, though. I have planted some cedars next to the little hedge. They will add some screeening from their driveway. Their front is just lawn with small strips of beds around the edges with a few small trees. Their property is on the corner. So these cedars will also screen from the street.
This morning I clipped the boxwood hedges along the top of the front garden. The grass path is approximately 4 feet wide. The grass will need attention this year, as it is full of weeds and moss.

No comments: