Saturday, May 02, 2009

On my walk and in my garden

This lovely spirea, bridal veil, is in the front of my front garden. I have it pruned into a round ball. If I did not prune it the branches would fall over the plant in long sprays. But if left unpruned it would become ratty and stringy in appearance. The bright white just glows against the dark hedge.
white fawn lillies in their natural habitat, except for the ivy that is very invasive and is taking over the planet.
This is an armeria or thrift and a couple other little rock plants. You can see the work I have ahead of me in cleaning up this rock path, though.
The tulips all over the garden are blooming. They are so late, I had thought the squirrel had got them.
I seem to have only one of these lovely red anemones blooming this year. I must get more.
The trillium turns reddish as it ages. It is growing old gracefully.
Every year I see holes eaten in the buds of this peony. Ants making those big holes are out of the question!
the fern leaf peony is putting on a great show now

Yesterday I did quite a few things out in the garden. Mowed the lawn and did some of the edging. Put the lawn clippings around the strawberries for mulch, over the compost. I mixed a bag of sand with a bag of topsoil and added this to the little rockery areas I cleaned. Cleaned up two little areas of rockeries in the front and started the trimming of the thyme circle, which is long over due. I watered a bit in front and back. I did the transplants of the little lupine, the new thrift, an iberis, a phlox. I dug out the old rosemary and replaced it with a new one and a lavendar beside it. I may need to keep both of them pruned to fit the space. Was really quite warm out.

Today was a lazy day. I finished reading my Deverell book last night and stared this new one about identity theft. I am barely past the first chapter and finding it very interesting.

I tweaked a few photos for the Victoria Grid group on Flickr but my heart is just not in it!! Flickr can be so slow and the glaring white makes my eyes hurt. I just cannot seem to find the time or inclination to keep up with commenting friends or group pool photos. The garden beckons and the books, too.

No comments: