Monday, May 04, 2009

Gardening

One of the anemones that need a bit of special attention. I have this one potted but out in the anemone bed. I have another tiny one in the little lewisia rockery. Both are in bloom. They are a fine plant and are often seen at the rock and alpine garden show.
Tent catapillars! I have only seen this one nest, in the plum tree, so far this year. I hope it is not going to be a big year for these bugs. I found that I could reach the branch from the deck, so I tore it off, bagged it and burned it.

I have finished putting the bricks along the veggie garden edge of the new little rockery. I dug over a bit of the veggie garden and am into the area where I have put grass clippings down as mulch. There are very few weeds where I have put down this mulch. I found 3 gladiola bulbs while I was digging over the bit of veggie garden and have moved them to a big black pot. I won't dig any more of the garden, but will just pull back the mulch and plant seeds. I should plant the spinach, lettuce, swiss chard. These plants should be able to take more cold. There have been threats of more cold for us yet, this spring, so I will wait a week before planting more things. I do want to spread the lobelia seeds along the edge of the rockery, between the bricks and the rocks. I will be planting the marigold seeds next to the strawberries, perhaps. I have 3 big black pots that I might put the cosmos into. Sunflowers can go next to the marigolds.

I moved 3 of the round cement stones from out of the front thyme bed, into the back by the anemone bed. I need to move 2 more of these stones and the path should be good to walk on again. The little decorative stones I had put in there last year are broken. I guess they were not really meant to carry any serious foot traffic. The thyme was almost grown over the stones in the thyme circle. I added a bit more dirt to the empty spots and hopefully the thyme will just fill in. When I have the last of the round stones moved to the back, I will add pea gravel between the stones and encourage the irish moss and the little sicilian mint to grow. This mint is a lovely, fragrant little plant. It needs sun, or I would use it as a substitue moss in the Japanese garden area.

We had rain yesterday. The pond looks pretty good. I did not water the front plum tree, as I hope the rain we had will do the trick. I am watering it by letting the hose run in the general area, so hopefully, after the fertilizer spikes and the water, we may get fruit this year.

I spent some time this morning getting a few of my emails caught up. I have a couple left to do, but it feels good to have these done. I really must finish all of them, though. I owe Peanut, Jaromey, Bev and Irene, yet! Tomorrow!!

No comments: