Thursday, December 04, 2008

Gardening


I was out in the garden for 2 hours this afternoon. I moved a torch lily from by the tub in the front to the back in the corner of the woodland. These plants look so messy and get too big for the spot I had it I moved montebretias from by the roses to the spot by the tub . The montebretias were hanging over the little rock path. I could see the humming birds at them from the dining room window. So, I left a few of the plants that were farther back from the path. I raked more leaves and cleaned them off the rock path and off the rock plants. A piece of the hebe broke off and is stuck in front of the montebretias by the tub. Hopefully it will take root, as this is an excellent, evergreen spreading plant with some lovely bluish purple blossoms. I clipped back the iceberg rose that grows by the front door. Its nice to have the compost bin to dump all these clippings into. I moved, what I think might be a yellow water iris to the back of the pond. This iris is a strong growing plant if kept sufficiently moist. I leveled the tub and put the mermaid up higher on a stick from the wood pile. On Wednesday the garbage men took away my old broken compost bin... was good of them to take it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that your composter has been taken if you are in the market for a new one my company recently released our new "Terra" composter. Please feel free to check it out and let me know what you think!

Maggie said...

Thanks for the information. Looks like your company carries some interesting products.
I now have a composting service that leaves me a big green bin. I fill it with all my clippings and prunings. Every month they take the binful of organic waste and leave me a bag of composted material. It is worth the $20.00 a month fee, to me. I no longer have piles of clippings lying in corners or brush piles waiting to be chopped up and burnt or hauled away. I also have another newer stationary bin that I use. The holes in it are small and I believe it is rodent proof, too.