Saturday, February 13, 2016

Hydro Posts No.2






The show continued into the second day.  Sure wish Ken was still here to see this.  Apparently all these gadgets they added to the pole will allow them to restart the power from Langley, if it should ever go out.  We haven't had a power outage on our line for years.  Along with the people actually working on the installation they had a couple of people who were traffic control.  As the traffic went around the trucks on our narrow street, some of them had to drive on the grassy boulevard where I have the crocus field.  Due to the rainy season, the cars where making ruts in the outer edge of the crocus field which is about 3 - 4 feet of grass.  On the second day of the installation, they had a landscaping truck arrive with soil in it.  They guy spread this dirt into the ruts the traffic had made in front of our place and along Shawna's place as well.  I think he spread grass seed on it also, although I never noticed any birds feasting.  Yesterday when I was out gardening, I raked some of this dirt higher up onto the crocus field.  It is not packed down into the ruts, so I may have to refill the ruts.  We have had rain, so it should be packing down somewhat.  There was a bit of mud running into the storm drain.  My daffodil is coming up across the street where there is now a strip of grass along the edge.  This used to be all blackberries and tall wild grasses.  I have been known to mow this area myself, when the Saanich people do not get around to it in a timely manner.  It is nice to have that little strip along the edge of street for anyone walking along there.

We had great rain shower in the morning, yesterday; and in the afternoon the sun came out and it was 14 degrees.  So, I was out gardening for 3 hours.  Pat pruned the fig tree and the apple tree, too.  I cleaned up the perennials around the middle part of the back and cleaned up the little rockery.  While cleaning up around the stepping stones, I noticed an old planting of hycinths trying to grow up through the rocks in the path.  I removed the rocks and added more top soil to the holes.  I should dig these plants out of the path once they are finished blooming and put them further up in the michaelmas daisy bed.  I transplanted the new little ice plant into the little rockery, and the new lovely blooming primula into the primula bed next to the cyclamen and little hosta.  The primulas are starting to come into bloom.  The dark hellebore is in full bloom.  Since it is so dark it is hardly noticeable.  I clipped back the Japanese anemones and the Jackamani clematis.  I find the little sprout of the burning bush has been broken down, as have the honeysuckle pillea hedge along that side of my garden.  I put in some boxwood clippings into both places.  The ones where the burning bush was are in front of the 2 cedars I have there to screen off the site of their garbage bins from our front door.  Hopefully this will keep them off my trees and shrubs.  The clematis is in full bloom along there and dropping blossoms on their sidewalk.  These seems to bother them a lot.  Pathetic! 

No comments: