Friday, February 06, 2009

The Pictorial Story and other stuff

I made this image using Ken's textured photo of the pink wrapping paper, a photo of mine of the gold cross, and the page curl in my old Photoshop editing program. Since we had a store going on the comments of this photo (Ken usually gets stories going on his photos) I took a notion to start another Flickr group called The Pictorial Story . As if I don't have enough to do! But the group seems to have taken off and is going to be fun, I think. I finished the front page of the group today, adding a counter last. After I added the counter, the group pool seems to be missing a few photos. I wonder if Flickr is having more than the usual hiccups! It really should stop eating the photos from our group -- might give it food poisoning! Hmmmm there might be a pictorial photo and story in that idea! The food poisoned Flickr! imagine?

Last nite from 5 to 8 Brad and Chris were here putting in the 13 - 4 inch pot lights in the kitchen. They use 50 watt / 130 volt halogen bulbs. Its going to be a bright kitchen with them all on. The dishwasher is ready to be hooked up when the plumber is finished with it. The breaker is turned off now, so we must not be dismayed if it does not work; but go turn the breaker back on. There is one light on the switch above the sink, three on the switch above the desk, the rest are on the switch for the kitchen. Brad suggested we put a dimmer switch on the one with the 9 bulbs. He will be back sometime next week to install the tiffany light, move the heater, and the plugin that is behind my desk. When that is done, I should be able to move my desk right into the corner and turned around with my back to the kitchen. I will be able to see out the patio door if I look to the left. I think this arrangement will be more suitable with the way my cabinets are now. Also, if I get my TV for along the same wall as my desk, I will be able to the TV from my computer chair by looking to the right. The tv will be visible from our old oak roll top desk also, and from the rest of the room, of course. I hope to get my old folding oval, Ikea table's top refinished with an arborite material cut to the right size and glued on. This table top will then match the rest of the kitchen / my room in golds and greens. Brad was really impressed with our cabinets. Anyone who has seen them has expressed the same kind of appreciation for them.

Pat has given me a full year at a glance calendar. He hung it on the door of my desk. This calandar has golden colors on black. It looks just super! When I have my desk turned around, I think I will keep these doors open and both enclosing my desk area, but might have to reassess this once I have the desk turned around.

Randall, from the Corian suppliers will be here next Friday, the 13th. I hope he brings the plumber guy and the new sink with him. We spent a bit of time getting a tap for the kitchen. It is bronze and matches the knobs and pulls on our cabinets. It has simple straight lines to match the simple straight lines of the cabinets. The counter tops are not going to be the rounded bull nose that I wanted, but another style to match the straight lines and the pin stripe. This is all moving along quite nicely, now!

We talked to Rob at Hourigans and he came in and measured for the lino and carpet we want to use. The lino looks very much like tiles but is far more foregiving. Everyone seems to be using hardwood everywhere! It really holds no appeal for me. I think its slippery to walk on and noisy. The carpet we are getting for my room is an industrial office use kind of carpet, made of nylon. Rob was away when we picked it out, so I hope the guy conveyed our choice to Rob, and he calls us back with the total price on it. I think we get Wally to install it again. I really hope he brings a big guy with him to help move stuff. Our desks, fridge, stove, dishwasher are really heavy.

A couple of days ago Pat got the old pantry moved and set up in his garage. Its looking good and gives him so much more storage room. I helped a bit, but mostly just cheered! So, I guess if Pat can move that big thing on his little dolly, Wally should be able to move or desks and stuff with his industrial type tools.

Now that we have a firm date for the counter top installation, we can schedule the flooring to follow as soon as possible. After the flooring is done, David needs to be notified to come back and finish the trim on the cabinets. Then we need to get ahold of John Gray again to see if he would do our painting and the bit of drywalling necessary to fill the holes where the old light fixtures made in the ceiling. If the carpet goes out to the edge of the wine rack, I should not have to change the stipling line on the ceiling as it will match the carpet line on the floor... or close enough, anyway. We should then be able to move the roll top desk over one foot to clear the light switches on that wall. The desk will have one side sitting on carpet and the other on lino. Its side should line up with the side of the cabinets, making the galley kithen with straight sides. They should be level, I imagine. And we will have a bit more room in front of the pantry.

I am so looking forward to being finished. And to be able to use my kitchen and dishwasher again. Its quite an adventure making meals just now. I have to work from the two bedrooms where I have different things stored, and in the bathroom for cleaning, the dining room to eat, and the kitchen to use stove and microwave!

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Ken's Flickr account no longer exists as he has passed away.

Maggie said...

Ken's Flickr account no longer exists as he has passed away.