Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My Walk - January 10, 2009



At the beginning of January there was flooding happening in some parts of town and more seriously, up island. I took my camera and went out to see how our river was doing. There was a sign across the path in the park saying it was closed due to flooding. By the time I was out for my walk the floods had receded. There was a bit of wash out on the path, but not bad. The river is just the usual full to its banks. Since then we have not had much rain. Our water reserve is at 80% they say, which is not great. We could be full and it would be better.

The colors were really quite bright, but I think I should set my camera's saturation off, if it is on. I like the colors though. I enhanced the water drop with the berries in photoshop. :)) I have a few more from this day's shoot that I like and want to upload to this blog, if not to Flickr. If I load to Flickr I feel obliged to return comments on my stuff. Lately, I just don't seem to have the time. I have been catching up on some moderating duties and my Whimsies group has gone wanting for comments the photos. I don't know why I feel I have to comment them all, but I like to.

I am really enjoying being back in my kitchen. Tonite I roasted a chicken, dressing, gravey, cranberries, mashed potatoes, and butternut squash. Was good. Neither one of us had room for any dessert. Since Pat cannot have salt, I made chicken/vegetable soup. I have 3 jars of it. I just have to add water, heat and serve. We have not looked for soups with less sodium and are doing ok so far with homemade soups. Its fun actually. My cream of asparagus turned out really good last week. I have some left over asparagus to make more. It just takes a bit of time. I have stuff mostly put away. I have to put my gardening books in the liberated shelves in the library. I moved my camera stuff out here into the cabinet next to the closet.

Brad was back last nite to finish installing my faux Tiffany light and to move the baseboard heater over a few feet. Now I will turn my desk to face the wall. Pat reminded me that the reason I had it facing the door was so that no one could look into our patio door and see the computer. hmmmmmmm... I don't think my old model computers are something that would be particularly high value on the black market. Tonite we settled our account with Brad, and it was approximately what Pat had expected. I was a bit surprised, but what do I know. The pot lights are a bit expensive. I didn't price them out, or I may not have gone for them, even though I really like them. They will be finished after the painter is done. It is suppose to be easier for him to paint around them as they are, and then the trim goes on after. They are white, and I want the ceiling to be the same gold as the walls.

Wally should be here to instal lino, at the beginning of March, and then we wait until the beginning of April for him to do the carpet.

It has been a beautiful day out... 10 degrees celcius and sun. I have light blue crocuses and the yellow crocuses, as well as 'lady killer' crocuses up. Snowdrops, cyclamen, a few anemones.. the bright blue ones, and a few arabis have decided to bloom. I should get out and clean up a bit. I was planning to move my good daffodil bunch out of the little rockery by the veggie garden. I think I will wait until they finish blooming and then move them. They really are lovely. I think I will add more compost over top of the Oriental poppies by the garage, remove the little rockery along there, as it looks rather lame. The plants can go in the new rock garden area or over by the veggie garden... which rockery is expanding into the veggie plot.

Spring seems to do this to me... plans plans and notiions.....

No comments: