Monday, February 16, 2009

The new counter tops







This is how the renovation looks, so far. Cherrywood 'Honey Spice' from Kraftmaid cabinets with bronze pulls and knobs. The counter tops are "granola" Corian with Pompey red pinstripe. New tap to match the bronze hardware. The pot lights are in the ceiling but we are waiting for the painting to be completed before they are finished. Countryside Designs from Cobblehill did the countertops and Aquarian Plumbing hooked up the sink and dishwasher, David Denis installed the cabinets that we bought through Home Depot. Brad was over today to complete the installation of the faux tiffany in my room and move the basebooard heater over. March 2 - 3 Wally from Hourigans carpets will come in intall the new lino in kitchen and bathrooms. The carpet was not in stock and the order should get here end of March. After the carpet is in we get David back to finish the kickplates and other trim. Then, we contact John Gray to see if he will ccome to paint. Yeaay, it is looking good. Brad was very impressed with our countertops, which he had not seen last time he was in. Others were impressed with the all wood cabinetry and how well made it is. Looks like we chose some good stuff. If anyone needs hardwood or tiles when we are ready to downsize they are welcome to instal them. I am personally not going to miss either hardwood floors nor tile floors. Who knows? by the time I am ready to move the fad may have changed back to kitchen carpet or lino and blindingly white kitchens. I am very pleased with how mine is looking so far.

Yesterday, I moved, washed and stored the everyday dishes, the stemware, and cutlery, as well as most of the microwave dishes. We also shopped for plastic bins and trays for putting in the pull out drawers and other places we needed them. Man! $85 worth of plastics at Canadian Tire! outrageous for what we got. The kitchen trolly did not need that $89 pull/bar that we bought and returned a while ago. The Corian guys made a handle out of the Corian for moving the trolly, if ever. Its very heavy, as it contains to units of the cherrywood. Seems to be the only way we could manage to get what we wanted in the trolly, with matching wood. The wine rack is much appreciated, as well as having the empties wine case out of sight behind a closed door. I am trying to not have too much stuff on the countertops. I do seem to have it down to the kettle, the fruit bowl and the onion/garlic bowl. Everything else gets put away after use and brought out again when needed.

Today, I moved, washed and placed more dishes. I am getting stuff organized, slowly. The cupboards are NOT lower as I had wanted, but are standard height. It was so difficult to talk to our designer, Alan, in that noisy atmosphere at Home Depot. I guess its lucky we got as much of what we wanted as is. Its not impossible with the higher shelves. I guess I just will have to keep my sturdy chair for standing on handy.

My blog is not showing any of the contents - neither pictures nor text, but the side bars are intact. I clicked on the VFXY and saw that the content is there. So, if I click on February the February stuff will load and be visible. Strange. Hope they get it fixed soon.

No comments: