Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Victoria Grid Project - H24 - February

This is one of the duck photos I took yesterday while shooting for the Victoria Grid Project. This month's Grid is in Broadmead including Rithets Bog. After my appointment with Dr. S. and lunch Pat dropped me off at the parking lot of the bog. It was cloudy and overcast. As I walked and did some shooting from the bog to Emily Carr drive, the sun came out. On my way back to and around the bog I now had glorious sun shine. I have had no time to do up any of the shots but this one.

Today I skimmed the RROC news letter, doing laundry, cleaning up the board from the sink of the van, etc. I must get the van packed for tomorrow we take it on its first run, to Dan and Irene's and then the four of us will go to the Puyallup Swap meet. We catch the 4:00 Coho ferry to Port Angeles tomorrow. I am getting quite excited about this trip. We will probably be boon docking at the swapmeet. There probably won't be electrical hook ups. Pat has all the tanks filled that need filling and the tanks emptied that need emptying. He has done a few other little repairs to get things into perfect order.

Day before yesterday Cyrus was showing me how to see blown out color detail in photos and what to watch for in good color transition in photos. This shows up in the histogram in photoshop. My little Canon S3 IS has a live histogram where I can see what the exposure is doing by reading this histogram. Basically, if the histogram is piled up on the right side the photo is over exposed and highlights could be clipped. If its high on the left it is under exposed and data in the shadows is lost. Cyrus says a bell shaped curve is a good histogram; as did the web site I read on this information. And so I have been paying attention, now to the histogram and watching for these blown out colors as he called them. Thank you Cyrus. I don't know where you find the time to show me all this stuff, but I appreciate it. My walking the dog photo shows a good histogram bell, but this duck and most of my photos from the sunshine, yesterday are surprisingly under exposed. I was trying to compensate for the bright light by using the exposure compensation setting. It is not always bad to 'not' have a bell curved histogram. I have to look into this aspect of the histogram and train my eyes to see the difference.

No comments: