Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Swallowtail butterfly


This is the best shot I managed to get of the Swallowtail butterfly today. It was flitting from blossom to blossom of the hesperis plant. It did not stay in one spot for very long. The other photo is the larvae of this butterfly feeding on the fennel that I keep just so that I can have these flying flowers in my garden. Here is a site with more information on the Swallowtail butterfly

I have been thinking about taking out the rose bush along the driveway and putting in a buddleia. Last time I did this the postman or someone dragged it right out the ground in their shortcut across between the properties. But the buddleia was a very nice shrub and did attract butterflies. The rose bush is just a prickly deterrent to keep them from pulling it our of the ground. It is not a nice rose, but does have nice rose hips for the winter.

I watered the front today and the back yesterday. Tomorrow I should mow the lawn. The rhodos are in full bloom and some of the iris. The roses are starting. The vegetables are up except for the root crops. Beets, carrots... hmmmmmmm I wonder how come. Maybe the seed is too old, not viable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very nice captures!
it's wonderful you have a garden that attract such colourful critters as subjects for your photography
i wish i could have such garden but can't as i live in a highrise apartment...

p/s tks for visiting my photoblog and sharing your thoughts!