Saturday, March 22, 2008

More of the waterfall


A couple more photos of the waterfall of the p0nd in my back garden. The top part of the waterfall is growing some nice moss. This moss reminds me of the mossy fountains along the main street in Aix en Provence, in France. The fountains are spring fed. You cannot see the water running in the fountains because they are all overgrown with the lovely green moss that is fed slowly from the springs. The water in my waterfall is running a bit too fast to achieve that effect; unless, I let the moss grow thicker to intercept the water flow and/or slow the flow down to a trickle. I think I like it the way it is now. I will just encourage more moss to grow, if possible. The moss does wick away the water, so I will need to be more diligent about topping up the pond. Until I get plants to grow over the edges and hang down, this pond does not look good when it is not topped up. I suppose I could bury a hose that fed directly into the p0nd with a slow drip to keep it topped up. I might do this. I really should raise the flat stones and move them closer to the apple tree... thus removing more grass from the soggy (in winter) part of the lawn and giving me a more dry surface to walk on in the winter. I could bury the dripping hose at the same time. I would to need to dig out one of the old Y hose connectors.. or get a new one.

I clipped the big boxwood hedge and did quite a bit of cleaning up of the old perennials in the front, up to the cedar hedge. I have the little honeysuckle hedge and the little boxwood to clip yet. Neither one need much work as they have not grown much since their last clipping. The dandilions need attention all over the garden.

Today I made a pot roast in the pressure cooker. I followed the recipe. I don't think my pressure cooker is working quite right. It took twice as long as it should have.. the roast may not have been totally unthawed though. Was very good anyway. I seem to be managing to lose a bit of weight... not much, but its encouraging to see even a couple of pounds gone. There was no big carbohydrates in the pot roast, except what is in potatoes. So, I hope I managed another day of less intake than required.

Tomorrow, Easter Sunday, the guys go up to Ladysmith and see the Zust in its debut. Wish I had asked to go with them as it would be great to get some photos of it, and see it, in its racing form. Hopefully there will be other opportunities. I am getting quite a few hits on my blog post where I quoted the newspaper interview that the Blackstaffs did a few months ago. Its all very exciting for the antique car hobby to have the Zust right here on our Island!! AND restored!! New York to Paris race - 100th anniversary, the Zust finished third.

No comments: