Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Cattle Point














On June 22nd we picked up a lunch from the Deli at Mr. Grocer's (not great) and headed over to Willows Beach in the Dodge Lodge. The Victoria Grid for June contains Willow Beach. When we arrived there we did not see any spot that was very inviting to park and have our lunch, so we continued on to Cattle Point.

It was a beautiful sun/cloudy day with the ever present breeze from the ocean. After lunch I put my ND filter on my camera and went out to shoot around Cattle Point. This is a very photogenic spot! After these photos plus a few more we went back to Willows Beach and the grid area. I could not seem to get anything that I liked within the grid. When looking at the grid pool photos, it seemed that anything I had taken was already loaded to the group, and many of them better than anything I got in the grid. No need to duplicate things. I am so glad I have my Cattle Point photos though.

I bought 6 more small sarosa goldfish for the pond as well as 4 more perennials. I have another corsican mint to add to the front rock path, as well as another Scleranthus Biflorus which is a very elegant little green mound. It says that it can be a greass substitute. My corisican mint is growing and expanding in the back around the cement stepping stones and along the stone path. It is gorgeous and smell heavenly. They say it is the mint that makes creme de menth. I bought a red rockrose and a small potentilla ground cover, with yellow flowers, of course. I must see if it likes a bit of shade, then it can go on the other side of the bench from the Vancouver Jade broom, perhaps, or in the back with the yellow flowering plants.

I watered the front for a total of 5 hours, with the sprinkler set in 3 different spots to give the garden a fairly good soaking. Now, I need to add compost to the beds, and some fine bark mulch, and the front beds, the back garden rooms, are all ready for enjoyment and just maintenance. The side driveway strip, the woodland and under the deck will have to wait for next year, or the Fall. My ideas for these areas need to 'jell' yet, anyway. This will take some studying of the light conditions, and consideration of availability of water, etc., before I start the renovations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photography; looks like perfect exposures.

Maggie said...

There was a bit of photoshopping done here and there; some slight curves, some luminosity, tiny bits of burning or dodging, shadows and highlights (I hesitate to call it corrections). The photo at the top is right out of the camera, downsized and a bit of USM.
Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

A couple of days ago a dead cow washed up on the beach... not this beach though. Guess the cow missed seeing the cowboys to collect her.