Thursday, November 02, 2006

Scanner, Velvia, Star Ttails


I got my 36 exposure slide film back from the lab early this afternoon and spent most of the afternoon learning how to scan my slides with my Epson 4870 and how to tweak them in Photoshop Elements. That film is Fujichrome velvia 50 and is highly saturated film. I am not sure I care for that. Its too far off real.

I shot this with Fujichrome velvia 50 in my Canon EOS Elan 7e, set up on my deck, pointed North, for approximaely 8 hours. At some point the battery died, so my time to leave it out next time is debateable.

My star trails were left out too long, perhaps. A shorter period of time might have given smaller radius to the circles. The batteries died at some point in the 8 hours I had left it out, so I am not sure how long the next time should be. Or perhaps just set the lens to the widest setting possible. Hmmmmmmm, there is much I need to learn yet.

My lens fogged up on the second attempt to shoot, so despite my wiping the lens at hourly intervals, I still only have a blank slide, on my second attempt.

It is fun to try this stuff, anyway. I have learned a lot about my scanner todsy, also. I boot up Adobe Elements and go to Import and my scanner. Do all the settings in Professional mode.. I seem to be able to enlarge them from the small slide size, also do unsharpen mask, do noise removal, then any changes in PS, of course.

Tomorrow we leave on the ferry to go to the Bremerton Swap meet with Dan and Irene on Saturday. Should be another fun weekend. There are tons of old cameras at these swaps. Hmmmmmm, wonder if I should start a collection. Maybe I can find a gizmo to show slides with .. not a projector, but one of those little box things that just lights up the slide -- don't know its name.

No comments: