Tuesday, September 05, 2006

S3 IS

This is about one tenth of the total frame of 1.94 mb, cut out of the middle of the photo, saturated slightly and USM in Paintshop Pro. Its part of a huge dried flowers arrangement that I have made over the years, using dried flowers from my garden. They are all contained in a lovely big mossy green vase. This one was not zoomed on the lens. When I zoom it I can get very very close from where I was sitting 6 feet away from the subject. It has a super macro setting too. Does short movies, and sound bytes. Man, this little camera is fun. The 4 AA alkaline batteries have been running through all this time. The NiMH AA batteries are charged and ready to go though. And the 1 GB SD card is formatted and ready to go also. I am using the little card that came with, for practise though.

I just got my Canon Powershot S3 IS. It has a 12X lens, which was the main attraction. I am familiar with most of the shooting modes from my 35mm Canon Elan 7e. But that long lens is great, so far. I still have much more to learn in using this little camera. I find the buttons are rather small and hard to manage. They seem to be less than half the size of the Elan's. And I have small hands. I cannot imagine how anyone with bigger fingers would be able to turn it off, without using a pen or stylus of some kind. Turning it on would be even more difficult.

Last night I had the Elan set out to try capture star trails again. I wiped the mist a couple of times, through the night. The camera was up from about 9 pm to 5 am. That is the last I am going to try with this fujichrome Velvia 50. It is not really a fast enough film to use for this. It probably is all fogged out anyway. Its a 36 exposure roll, so I have about 8 shots left to find something good to shoot, in good bright light.

No comments: