Friday, May 26, 2006

More gardening





I spent about 4 hours in the garden today. I clipped the cotteneaster topariary, both of the jasmines on the garage, transplanted my annuals from Cannor, moved old boards to the back, clipped the firethorn, the holly, the bush by the compost bin. Weeded a bit here and there. All in all I got quite a bit done.

We have had bits of rain over the last few days so I have not done any roundup or weed and feed just yet. The bits of rain have not really added to the moisture content of the soil. I dug out the black bamboo and it was quite dry. Today when I was digging holes for the transplants it was fairly dry 2 inches down.

David and Jennifer were by to pick up the bamboo and for tea. They travel, also, so we had a very interesting visit. Jennifer is going to be cleaning out her pond (13 x 9 x 2) soon. She has a netting tent over it. The predators do not bother her fish. She has 3 big koi. She will give me some baby ones, as she has tons of them. I should look into tenting my pond too, as my fish just seem to disappear. The ones in the deck tub survive as does the one in the Mermaid tub at the front.

The hedge shot is from when I just finished clipping it a few days ago. The koi are at Cannor when I was there to get my few trees and annuals. All this gardening is paying off, because the garden is beginning to look even better. I still have quite a few weeds to get under control, though.

The clematis all over the garden are looking terrific. I have to prune back the evergreen one over the garage yet. This involves climbing on a ladder. Not my favourite thing.

No comments: