Sunday, April 05, 2009

More Renovation




Since I discovered that I am an Author of the Gardening category on Metrocascade I will be trying to add some garden content to each of my posts. I don't know how or why they want my blog as an Author, but I am certainly pumped up about it. So, the photo of the Corsican Hellebore. The colors go nicely with the greens in the newly renovated decor of my home.

On Friday David Denis, who is under contract to Home Depot, was in to finish the trim and kick plates. He does very nice work. We have been fortunate in having a few very good workmen to make up for all the hassles of actually getting the products. David also shortened the vertical blinds on the patio door. They were dragging on the newly installed carpet with its underlay. I could not get ahold of Pacific Draperies who did all the draperies. I think they may have gone out of business. Why am I not surprised? I asked him to shorten them 1.5 inches. They look good, but would have been better at 1.25 inches. I have moved my boxers, bells and stones collections to the new cabinet. Its not a great display case, but I like it. All the mess we had sitting around is now behind doors. I love the carpet and the colors. I could have the yellow walls a bit more gold color but its not bad. This yellow is more to the greenish spectrum and goes well with the green in the rest of the house.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything looks very lovely, Maggie. I very much like the colors and materials. Congratulations on having your gardening work picked up by the magazine; I am excited for you.

K

Maggie said...

Thanks Ken. Ain't life grand when you are having fun! I must be one of the luckiest people in the world, I guess.

Yule Heibel said...

Hi Maggie, Yule from MetroCascade here! Thanks for noticing that you're in MetroCascade, and please don't hesitate to tell us (email to info@metrocascade.com) if you want a different or additional category! "Gardening" was just the most obvious category to start with...

Now, what's MetroCascade? Well, take a look at our About Us page for more info, but basically, we want to provide a platform for local blogs and news, and we hope that if - nay, once! - we get some traction in the community, we can help drive traffic to local authors (bloggers), news sources, events organizers, photographers, and so on.

We basically just started (sort of officially rolling the site out early in Feb. 09), and are still working on features, etc. For example, our "Events" cascade (the side-bar on the right) is very sparse at the moment, not because there isn't a lot going on in Victoria, but because we haven't yet "automated" things so that events go in any way other than hand-coding them into the calendar (which, you can imagine, is kinda tedious!). We're just 3 people, with 2 of us on the technical end (not me, btw), and so it takes us a while to get everything fully built out. (I could make a joke about "island time" at this point, I guess...!)

Anyway, our goal is to make MetroCascade into a really useful platform for local news and conversations, a platform that allows people to connect and get to know more about the city they live in. Each blog or news source we aggregate is included simply by title and one or two opening sentences, and the idea is that MetroCascade will drive traffic to those pages. Win-win.

(I put my personal blog url in my signature here, but we also have a blog for MetroCascade. My personal blog is hosted through Harvard's Berkman Center for Internet and Society, but I really do live in Victoria - grew up here and everything. I'm even in the phone book! :-))

Maggie said...

Thanks, Yule,
For the comment on my blog and for actually reading what I wrote.

I think Metrocascade is rather fun and will be helpful to many people when they discover it.
Gardening is a good category for my garden, thanks.. It is the hobby I am most interested in, although I never seem to find enough time for it. I go off on tangents now and then, on other things I find interesting, but always return to the comfort zone of gardening.

I found your personal blog very entertaining and fun. I like your writing style.

Now I am off to MetroCascade to see if the person from http://www.cheapvictoria.blogspot.com is listed as an author.

Keep smilin’