Monday, April 24, 2006

The Woodland, Water and Vegetable Gardens








All the pictures except the Japanese garden were taken today. It has been a very warm day -- up to 21 degrees Celcius. I filled the pond and skimmed off the debris from the top. The marsh marigold and the water hawthorn are blooming. I cleaned up a bit and watered around the pond hoping to encourage the moss. I clipped a few branches off the plum tree that hang too low around the pond. I need to add a bit more pea gravel to the paths and rock edges.

The woodland is looking pretty good. The photo is of the anemonella. The bleeding heart, honesty, blue bells, aubretia and a fawn lillies are in bloom. My pile of pruning sticks are getting pretty high. I should call Tom to come and haul stuff away. The path in the woodland looks good, and almost natural. I could use a bit more rough bark chips for it.

I dug a bit more in the vegetable garden, so that I am about 2/3 finished digging it over. The compost bin is full and I am moving weeds to the old bin. I must get my blocks and get the path done so that I can get the dahlias and the gladiolas planned. The foxgloves that I moved were looking a bit droopy until I gave them some water. The rosemary is in bloom and the other herbs are looking ok. They will all need a good pruning.

Most of the new rock plants will stay in their pots untill they are a bit bigger. The little willow stays in a pot forever. The guy who sold it says it forms its own bonsai shape. So, it shall be on the deck in a clay pot. The big pink clover and the smaller one good out to the front. Pink by the water tub and the other one in the tiny round bed with the sundial.

I put round up on the weeds in the driveway strip 2 days ago. Hope it works. Also painted morning glory. That bed could use some more arabis when the weeds are dead, and maybe more big geraniums.

2 comments:

Worldwide1 said...

it's a very lovely looking garden.

Maggie said...

Thank you.

Its great fun and very relaxing to be out there.