Saturday, December 01, 2018

November 1 in my garden

The simplicity rose in the rain.  As of today this rose still has an old blossom or two on it.
 The iceberg rose still has several blossoms on it today.  I was out taking photos about and hour ago and the rose photos will show when I get finished the November postings.
 This is a fine plant for late season color, and the humming birds love the Kaffir lilies.  (Schizostylis)  Here is some good information on growing these plants  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/6338022/How-to-grow-Schizostylis-the-Kaffir-lily.html
They are rhizomes and want lots of water.  I have some of them planted by the back step up to the deck and in one of the large white pots.  I am planning on making the pink pots into an arrangement. This plant will be one to include.  I think I may add this pot arrangement at the end of the old sidewalk.  This will make a rounded spot of interest at the end of the straight line of the sidewalk and add depth the the back border.
 This snapdragon has been in bloom for a long time.  It is in the back garden in the polyanthus/epimedium/moss garden.  I hope it lasts the winter and into next year. If it does not come up again in the Spring I must replace it.  And put a few plants into the space for a lovely eyeful of color against the green of the moss.
The rose hips add a nice bit of winter color in the cedar hedge strip between the neighbors and my driveways.  
We have had a very warm November with lots of rain.  My time has been spent primarily in harvesting the apples and raking leaves.  

No comments: