Tuesday, December 25, 2018

December: the old sidewalk in the back garden

 The orange trees on December 2.  I am going to leave them out all winter.  They are never going to bloom, so I think I will reuse the pots.
 The new Rhodo Oreotrephes planted in front of the old camillia.  The camillia is growing more branches, so I think I will keep it pruned and keep the rhodo trimmed also.  This will give some good screening for our back patio.  A couple of weeks ago I fed these plants, and the rest of the rhodos some rhodo food. 
 The old sidewalk from the steps to the back border of firethorn bush.  The lily of the Nile has turned a lovely golden color that looks good with the greening of the moss on the sidewalk.
 Another view of the old sidewalk to show the perennial bed that I renovated last Fall.  Hopefully the milkweed plants I put in there will grow next Spring.
 Further to the right of the renovated perennial bed is the apple tree and the stepping stones leading over to the little rockery and the strawberry patch and cutting garden and the neighbors fence.
 A closer photo of the Lily of the Nile plant.  This is plant is slowly spreading and is a very good plant with nice strap foliage and tall stalks of blue flowers in the late summer.  This flower bed beside the old garage needs some compost added.
a closer photo of the lily of the Nile.  You can see the spent flower head in silver high above the golden foliage.

No comments: