Wednesday, December 26, 2018

December: The little rockery in the back garden

 the strawberry jar on the little rockery in the back garden. 
 the lewisias on the little rockery in the back garden.  As you can see this rockery needs to be cleaned up, compost added and more pea gravel top dressing.
 The dwarf evergreen on the little rockery in the back garden.
 This little rock plant is a cutting from an older plant that is in the little rockery in the front garden.  I cannot remember the name of it.  It loves to have rocks to grow over.  It has tiny pink blossoms in the summer.  It spreads over top of the rocks.  It is easily propagated.
 This rock plant is an ice plant, delesporum.  I have taken cuttings of it and have them growing in tiny pots on the deck.  I will plant them into the little rockery in the front garden.  They spread quick fast.  I might want one under the magnolia tree, too.
 I spread chopped up leaves that I ran through the lawn mover, over the cutting garden.  I will add a light layer of compost over the leaves in the Spring.
This is the view of the little rockery, the troughs, the strawberry and rhubarb patch, with the cutting garden at the back.  This area has lots of tree roots and needs to be fed.  The English Oak tree leaves fall on this bed and become mulch.  I am slowly establishing a few perennials in this area.  I try to encourage the columbines, foxgloves, dames rocket, malvas, feverfew and other self seeding plants.  The michaelmas daisies are far too invasive, so they are not encouraged.

No comments: