Friday, March 13, 2020

February in the Garden

 The epimedium in front of the Harry Lauder Walking Stick shrub. Now, on March 13, about a month later, the contorted nut shrub has long golden catkins and is in full bloom.  The color of the epimedium is a glorious red/green mix.  It's a fine combination of plants.  I must get a photo of it at this time.
 The epimedium is really spreading out.  There is a primula beside it that I must move.
 Some of the snowdrops in early February.  They are still in bloom around the garden.
 One of the earliest crocuses.  I lovely light maeve color.
The wall flower by the front step has buds mid February and is still at the about the same stage of growth.
February has been a rather cool, wet month this year, and  the beginning of March has been much the same.  Last week I did manage to get a couple of ok days and pruned back the firethorn bush, cut up and disposed of the clippings ... a prickly task.  Yesterday was a nice 14 degrees and so I was out from 1:30 to 5:30, clipping up the firethorn and then digging bluebells out of the woodland.  The fawn lillies are really looking good.  I think I am winning the battle of the bluebells!.  After all the rain we had I find there is no moisture under the Japanese cedar tree.  In the Autumn I deposit quite a lot of leaves at the back of the woodland.  Where it gets moisture the soil is becoming nice 'woodsy' compost, and smothering the bluebells.  The rhodo that is behind the old garage and in this woodland area is growing nicely since it, also gets a leaf mulch and lots of rain in the winter.

No comments: