Tuesday, September 20, 2011

September - a very busy month in the garden and otherwise



The Autumn crocus around the garden are looking very good.  The top photo is from a week ago.  The clump of blooms is 3 times the size now.  I like these easy care plants that give a good show when there is little else blooming in my garden.  The next photo is the jackimani clematis.  This one is beside the garage at the back.  The last photo is an attempt to show the magic of my little solar lights.  This one is on the deck.  I need to learn how to do good night shots, without noise.  I will probably have to use my dslr to do a decent job of it.
Monday, we got home from our 4 day trip to the CanAm, which is a Car event for the model Ts.  photos later, perhaps. I spent the day unpacking and recuperating from all the excitement. 

We have had very good weather the last 2 days.  The only thing I did out in the garden was to refill the humming bird feeder, pick 2 plums, and 2 figs.  This is the 6th fig.  The plums are finished.  The ones I cannot reach are dropping to the ground, some into the pond.  The grapes are very full of clusters and should be good this year.  There are lots of apples, but they are not very big.  They will probably be deer fodder in the winter time.

I spent today making soup.  I made about 3 quarts of the pork and pea soup.  I did not have ham, but had a big piece of roast pork.  I added cloves and cinnamon to the mix and it tastes really good.

I have another 3 quarts of mulligatawny soup.  It is quite good too.

Slow Cooker Mulligatawny Soup

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
1 medium celery rib, diced
1 small red bell pepper, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 tsp. mild or medium curry powder
1 large, green apple, diced (skin on)
2 tsp. finely grated lime zest
2 tbsp. fresh juice, freshly squeezed
1 tbsp. honey
1 bay leaf
4 cups chicken stock
2 tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup of water
1 cup cooked white or brown rice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
1 (14 oz - 400 ml) can coconut milk
Salt to taste

combine the first 14 ingredients in your slow cooker.
Cover and cook on the low setting 4 hours.  Stir in the rice, cilantro or parsley
and coconut milk.  Cover and cook 10 minutes more.  Season the soup with salt and
serve.  Makes 8 servings.

Megashot is on the new servers and is very fast now!  I hope to get some time there to play this week.


No comments: