Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Autumn on the Rideau Canal

 The Kowartha Voyageur going through a lock on the Rideau Canal
 This is shooting at the locks of the Rideau Canal from on the bridge in Ottawa
A sparkling water photo using my CS filter
 
The Canadian Empress and the Kowartha Voyageur tied up at the dock in Kingston.
The new uploader on my blog is not working properly.  This photo was shot in the vertical format in my camera by turning the camera around.  Now the clever uploader thinks it knows better about how the photo was taken.  I suppose I shall have to go to photoshop and turn the photo again, so the wretched uploader will load it properly.   Dammit!!
Well now the uploader refuses to upload the turned photo.  I suppose I shall have to take out the wrong one and try the turned version.  Let me try with another one shot in vertical and turned just for this uploader.
Ok, that seems to do it.  Just turn it in photoshop and turn it back again.  This is a shot of reflections of some of the colors along the Rideau Canal
There, then!  bother!!!

We had our Thanksgiving day feast on Sunday.  It was duck and delicious.  With the pumpkin pie and all, of course, there was far too much to eat.  I made duck soup from the brownings in the roasting pan.  We had the left over duck on Monday and I made more soup from the bones.  I now have about 6 servings of duck soup frozen.  The last batch was cooked a bit too long and is not as good as the first one I made.
Duck Soup reciepe
Boil the bones of the duck in about 1 gallon of water for one to one and a half hours.  Remove the bones by draining the broth over a colander and catching the bones and meat in it.  Remove the meat from the bones and set aside.  Place the broth back into the pot.

Chop and add vegetables: 3 sticks of celery, 1 large cooking onion, 2 carrots, 1 cup of lentils, half cup parsley, 2 cloves of garlic, and add to the broth.
Add spices:  dash of mild curry powder, black pepper, dash of salt, oregano, basil, rosemary to taste, and a bay leaf.

While the vegetables are cooking chop the meat and return it to the broth.

Add one can of stewed tomatoes.

Simmer, don't over cook or it will be mushy.  Since I freeze some of this soup, I actually under cook it as it cooks more when being warmed up, of course.

On Monday, I tweaked a few of the photos of the locks in operation, that Pat wanted.  I have a file started for the photos from this trip that I will eventually be adding to my web page under travel.  I am five years behind in this endeavor, so it might be a while before I get this album added.

Yesterday I walked to the lottery ticket store.  I stayed on the street instead of going through the park on the chip trail.  A bear has been seen in the Cardova Bay area, and so I don't want to take any chances of encountering one, in our area.

Its a lovely day again today.  I have managed to update the Model T page on my web page.  None of these albums are finished, but I am slowly getting the list compiled.  I was moved to do this update after seeing a photo on Megashot of the Elbow Falls.  We were on a Model T Ford International meet in 2005 that took us to these Falls and I have a few good photos of it.



:-)))

No comments: