Friday, October 22, 2010

Autumn harvest

When we visited the Upper Canada Village they were holding a Fall Fair and sale.  There were all kinds of canned produce, fresh produce, quilts, needlework, and many other items produced in the Village.  The gardens in the homes in the village were marvelous.  Huge tomatoe plants.  I suppose the horses in use in the village contribute to the well grown gardens.  Its a wonderfully interesting place.  I will eventually have more photos of this place.
Yesterday, I shopped for pesto making ingredients and walked home from the mall.  After lunch, I prepared the pesto from this recipe:
Fresh Basil Pesto Recipe


Ingredients

    * 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
    * 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
    * 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    * 1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
    * 3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
    * Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

    * Special equipment needed: A food processor (Check Amazon.com's sales on Cuisinart food processors)

Method

1 Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil.) Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.

2 Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Makes 1 cup.
I did not have enough basil, so I substituted one cup of spinach leaves.
To preserve the pesto be sure there is a thin layer of oil over the top.
Serve with pasta, or over baked potatoes, or spread over toasted baguette slices.

My interest in the pesto began with the recipe for quinoa, squash soup with pesto.  The soup recipe:
Quinoa Soup with Squash and Pesto

2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1 celery rib, finely chopped
3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 lb. cleaned banana squash peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/3 cup quinoa
1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp.pesto
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Place the oil in a pot set over medium heat.  Add the onion and celery and cook 3 to 4 minutes to soften.
Add the stock, squash, quinoa and tomatoes and bring to a slow simmer.  Simmer 15 to 18 minutes, or until the squash and quinoa are tender.
Stir in pesto, salt and pepper and serve.
Note:  I freeze the soup, and so add the pesto after reheating and just before serving.

The pesto turned out very well and the soup is delicious.  I have two large jars of the soup and two small jars of the pesto.
We got a large frozen salmon and cut it up into salmon steaks.  I took the boney parts and made up fish stock from a recipe found on line.  It contains bit of celery, onion, garlic,  carrot, parsnip, ginger root, salt, pepper. bay leaf,  white wine, and maybe a couple of other spices that I don't remember.  I did not copy this recipe.  The stock turned out very nice and I have 5 half cup jars frozen for the next fish or seafood chowders that I make.  Having the chicken stock on hand to use in the squash soup was a real plus and I am sure the good homemade stock contributes to the good taste of the soups.  I am making soups lately because the store bought ones just have too much salt.  AND, I am really enjoying the taste of the soups as well as making them.  Easting them also cuts back on the calories too, I am sure.

Today Pat had a question about what coriander was and so in searching the net I found this information place.

Oh my!  I thought I had lost this whole post, and I had, except that Blogger has 'drafts' saved as you compose your post.  I found the draft under edit posts or drafts and published it!   Good stuff!

No comments: