Monday, January 16, 2006

The earthquake

This is the mill at Campbell River at sunset.

I have started to get the 2002 travel trip to France ready for loading to my page.

I received my copy of the Hasselblad Manual, today. This is going to be very helpful. Now all I need is the time to get into it.

We got our new toaster oven today. Looks a lot better than that old grundy thing.

We had a 3.9 earthquake at 4:30 am on Sunday the 15th, centered near Bamberton, and occuring 45km beneath the surface. The quake was within the Juan de Fuca plate that runs beneath Seattle, Vancouver and Victoria. The plate is very slowly moving towards us at 4 or 5 cm each year and it is being pushed underneath Vancouver Island. As the ocean plate sinks beneath Vancouver Island the rock heats up and the pressure changes. The rock becomes denser and more compact and eventually compresses, triggering earthquakes in a narrow band from Puget Sound through the Strait of Georgia. We have about 300 of these magnitude twos and threes per year. There is more than I will ever need to know about Emergency Preparedness on this site.

No comments: