Monday, May 02, 2005

May in the garden


Thyme circle - May 1, 2005 Posted by Hello

The thyme is growing to fill the circle. I have a bit of work to do on the rock edges yet. I hope that pink one that is blooming grows to fill in more of the left side. Its giving us a lovely show. The royal blue columbines look good with the pink, but they seed themselves where ever they want to grow.

I have finished digging in the 10 old posts from Ed next door, for edging along the front garden and clipped the hedges and edges. I have some more fine tuning to do with the choices of plants to combine. I want more arabis (white) and aubretia (blue). I shall be moving the old deck pot plants to the front by the water tub.

The lilac is blooming and the fragrance in the back is heavenly. The wisteria is also in bloom, but looks a bit tired this year. The polyanthus, tulips, and more alpines are blooming. Just one lewisia. I shall need to buy one of those when I redo that little area into a bigger rock garden. The peonies are in buds and the ones on the driveway side are looking good. The other side needs attention. The tree peony is a great flousy blooming beauty. Helebores, hebes, the fairy bells, bleeding hearts are blooming. Roses in buds just now. Everything is early this year.

This morning I had a Raven in the yellow plum tree. It looked like he was finding insects to eat. The apple tree is finished blooming and has tiny apples. There are quite a few tiny figs YEA! and plums yellow and purple, and pears. Should be a good fruit harvest this year.

No comments: