Friday, April 25, 2008

The back garden renovation

This is lewisia nevadensis, I think. It has survived in my Lewisia bed for 2 years now. I think it is getting established. I wonder what's eating its leaves as they look a bit damaged. This plant needs good drainage.
I have been looking out my front window at about 6:00 - 7:00 am recently. This little brown bunny has been visiting my garden regularly. I have not been able to get a good shot of it though. A couple of days ago I saw two bunnies, and the one bunny has not been seen since. I guess they are off on their honeymoon.
On Monday, last; I went out into the garden and transplanted the 19 plants that I had from Cannor and the new trilliums, shooting star and pink fawn lily I have from Frasers Thimble Farm on Saltspring Island. I added more sand to the stepping stones as they seem to be sinking down too far. I added sand and top soil to all the planting holes and tried to mound them up just a bit as they are rock plants that mostly need good drainage. I added cedar tree leaf mold from under the hedge to the woodland plants. I dug the hepacticas from the back and from under the deck and transplanted them (2) to the new woodland area. I need a few more thyme plants, I think. Since thyme can stand some foot traffic, I want to have them at the area around the fig tree so that we can prune the tree and harvest the figs without worrying about damaging some special little plant by stepping on it.

No comments: