Thursday, March 24, 2016
Wednesday, March 23, 2016
I have been getting rid of the invasive species in the woodland. I took out a daphne. This plant is toxic to people, animals and even to the soil it grows in. It is spreading along the river and in the parks. It was being sold as a landscaping plant by the nurseries. And it is a nice looking shrub. We are not to put invasive species into the compost bins, so I have bagged it. When it is all dried out I will burn it. It seems like I have quite a lot of invasive plants in my garden. I have been working at eradicating the blue bells in the woodland area of my garden. I am pulling them out diligently. Last year I covered them with cardboard and then with mulched leaves. I did not put cardboard over the fawn lily patch, so had to be careful in removing the bluebells in that area, and around the hepatica and the 2 trilliums. I have a few more feet to clean up. I moved the water tub off the stump of the old eucalyptus tree as it was rotting away. The fish is still alive in that water feature. There are cyclamens growing in the tub area. I need to be careful of them spreading everywhere. They, too, are on the invasive list. I was pulling out the perennial bachelor buttons. The bees like them, but apparently they are on the list to control. And yes they do take over. I can use foxgloves and maybe lupines, and columbines instead of these plants. The woodland looks really good, especially where I put down the cardboard with leaf mulch over it. I am letting the honesty and dames rocket self seed in there for now. I still get a few morning glory, thistles, and blackberries popping up, but they are getting easier to control as I keep after keeping them down. The chocolate lily that I have in a pot will be put in the primula bed, if I have soom. I am removing the miniature blue spruce that has become too large for its spot by the moss garden. I will be trying to get the moss to spread out more towards the primulas. The spruce needles seemed to kill the moss. It is a busy time in the garden.
Posted by Maggie at 3/23/2016 04:16:00 PM
Wednesday, March 16, 2016
I have finished cleaning up the house, including windows, and have some of the food prepared for our St. Patrick's day feast tomorrow, with Art and Marlene. I went to itunes for some Irish music and have found an interesting mix. Should be fun.
Posted by Maggie at 3/16/2016 10:41:00 PM
Saturday, March 12, 2016
Posted by Maggie at 3/12/2016 10:55:00 AM
Friday, March 11, 2016
We have been having showers most of the week, so I have not been out to garden. I have finished repotting the orchids and African violets. The cactus will have to wait a couple of weeks. All the light tubes are now working and the trays are cleaned up.
We are having our St.Patrick Day feast planned with Art and Marlene, so I have been preparing some of the stuff ahead of time.
Posted by Maggie at 3/11/2016 08:56:00 PM
Wednesday, March 09, 2016
Posted by Maggie at 3/09/2016 09:00:00 PM
Sunday, March 06, 2016
Posted by Maggie at 3/06/2016 04:54:00 PM
Tuesday, March 01, 2016
Yesterday I finished repotting all of the orchids. I see that the old root from the Andean Fire has died and I have only a tiny plant of that one. I must get the African Violets done next.
The new orchids:
Feb 13, 2016 Orchid Show
1) Cattleya Wilsmara x Kolishri.
2) Lc Secret Love - Hsinying
3) Phrag Sedenii - Schlimi x longifolium
4) Milt. Breathless - 'Beauty'
The Cattleya Wilsmara x Kolishri is the one in bloom. I will repot it when it has finished blooming.
We had heavy rainshowers today. I spent the morning at the museum.
Posted by Maggie at 3/01/2016 11:05:00 PM